Learn To Master C Programming from Scratch
C Basic Concepts
In this lesson, we will delve into the world of C programming language, exploring its history, applications, and key features step-by-step. You'll have a comprehensive understanding of C language by the end.
C is a general-purpose and procedural programming language.
- General-Purpose - It means C programming language is used for developing software which is applicable in a wide range of application domains.
- Procedural - It means a C program is a collection of functions. Each function performs a specific task. In the C program, functions are called in proper sequence to make the program works as designed.
Who developed C programming language?
C was developed by Dennis Ritchie between 1972 and 1973 at AT&T Bell Laboratories for the development the UNIX operating system.
Applications of C
The C language gained its popularity during the 1980s. That time it was used for developing software a personal computer with UNIX systems. Soon C programming conquered the mainframe computer circuit.
C language is still popular among developers for system programming, especially while working with embedded software. The efficiency of C also allows programmers to develop robust and powerful software. Database management systems and graphics software are some of the examples.
Now a days you can easily find programs written in C programming language for many embedded systems. Today, the use of C language in the software of microprocessors of cameras, automobile, phone and other modern smart devices is prevalent.
Key features of C
The main key features of C language are listed as follows:
- Direct Memory Access - In C programming language, you can manipulate data at a very low-level that is why it is easier to control hardware with this language.
- Efficiency - C programs are small-scale and run faster than any other programming language, such as C++, Java or C#.
- Portable Source Code - With the help of compilers, you can run a C program on different platforms.
Now a days many new languages have been invented such as C++, Java, C#, etc. However, C language is still a good choice among developers for system programming, especially for embedded software. The efficiency of C also allows programmers to develop robust and powerful software including database management systems and graphics software.
Test Your Knowledge
Attempt the multiple choice quiz to check if the lesson is adequately clear to you.