Learn to Code in C Programming
C Basic Concepts
In this lesson, we will learn about the C programming language in a step by step process. From the history of C development to its applications, and the key features of this language.
C is a general-purpose and procedural programming language.
- General-Purpose - It means C programming language is used for developing software which is applicable in a wide range of application domains.
- Procedural - It means a C program is a collection of functions. Each function performs a specific task. In the C program, functions are called in proper sequence to make the program works as designed.
Who developed C programming language?
C was developed by Dennis Ritchie between 1972 and 1973 at AT&T Bell Laboratories for the development the UNIX operating system.
Applications of C
The C language gained its popularity during the 1980s. That time it was used for developing software a personal computer with UNIX systems. Soon C programming conquered the mainframe computer circuit.
C language is still popular among developers for system programming, especially while working with embedded software. The efficiency of C also allows programmers to develop robust and powerful software. Database management systems and graphics software are some of the examples.
Now a days you can easily find programs written in C programming language for many embedded systems. Today, the use of C language in the software of microprocessors of cameras, automobile, phone and other modern smart devices is prevalent.
Key features of C
The main key features of C language are listed as follows:
- Direct Memory Access - In C programming language, you can manipulate data at a very low-level that is why it is easier to control hardware with this language.
- Efficiency - C programs are small-scale and run faster than any other programming language, such as C++, Java or C#.
- Portable Source Code - With the help of compilers, you can run a C program on different platforms.
Now a days many new languages have been invented such as C++, Java, C#, etc. However, C language is still a good choice among developers for system programming, especially for embedded software. The efficiency of C also allows programmers to develop robust and powerful software including database management systems and graphics software.
Is the C language hard to understand?
NO, not at all. C language is easy to understand and you can effortlessly work with it.