Data Types in Java Programming Language
Java Basic Concepts
In this lesson, we will learn about the Data Types in the Java programming language along with a built-in data types table.
What is Data Type
Data Type in Java is used during variable declaration to restrict the type of data to be stored. Whenever a variable is defined in Java, the compiler allocates some memory for that variable based on the data type with which it is declared. Java supports the following data types given below.
- The short name of Integer data type is int.
- The short name of Short data type is short.
- The short name of Byte data type is byte.
- The short name of Long data type is long.
- The short form of Float data type is float.
- The short form of Double data type is double.
- The short form of Character data type is char.
- The short form of Boolean data type is boolean.
Below table summarizes the built-in data types in Java
|Data Type||Storage Size||Range|
|boolean||1 bit||true or false|
|byte||1 byte||-127 to 128|
|char||2 bytes||0 to 65535|
|short||2 bytes||-32768 to 32767|
|int||4 bytes||-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647|
|long int||4 bytes||-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647|
|long||8 bytes||-9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807|
|float||4 bytes||-1.4e-045 to 3.4e+038 (upto 7 decimal digits)|
|double||8 bytes||-4.9e-324 to 1.8e+308 (upto 15 decimal digits)|